The course "Data Visualization Laboratory" is an optional "type f" activity, which allows to students to obtain 3 CFU, once a final examination is passed. In particular:
- The course is open to all CdL and CdLM students of the School of Economics and Management, in particular to second and third year CdL students.
- There are 48 available places. To promote an active participation, students are required to bring their own portable computer.
- Requests for participation will be considered following the registration order considering that priority will be given to CdL students. Students are required to be present at the first lesson, or to send an email to the tutor to comunicate their absence.
- The frequency to the classes is compulsory. Students are required to attend at least 2/3 of the exercise lessons/tutorial activity in order to be admitted to the final evaluation.
- The course consists of 18 hours of exercise lessons and tutorial activity (plus 2 hours of final examination).
The tentative calendar of the course is the following:
Friday 6 December 2019, hours 15:00-18:30, room SMT.1;
Friday 13 December 2019, hours 15:00-18:30, room SMT.1;
Friday 20 December 2019, hours 15:00-18:30, room SMT.1;
(the calendar of the other lessons and of the final exam will be available as soon as possible).
Teacher: dott. Dario Pasetto
Registrations are open from the 19th of October 2019 to the 5th of December 2019.
Please, register through the elearning platform.
In recent years, Data Presentation has established itself as the eighth most requested skill on LinkedIn. At the same time, Tableau and Power BI have established themselves as the reference software for data visualization in the modern data science. In addition to providing an intuitive environment for managing, manipulating and displaying significant amounts of data, these software also provide an easy interface with R, Python and MATLAB, useful for more complex analyzes. The program of the course includes some lessons on Data Visualization and on the software Power BI:
- Databases and data types;
- Selection and analysis of data with the software Excel;
- Managing and structuring data for Power BI;
- Introduction to Data Visualization;
- Power BI capabilities and models of data visualization;
- Implementation of a data visualization model with a dashboard.
|R. O. Ramos, J. Stirrup||Advanced Analytics with R and Tableau||Packt Publishing||2017||9781786460110|
|J. Steele, N. Iliinsky||Beautiful Visualization||O'Reilly Media, Inc.||2010||9781449379865|
|D. Clark||Beginning Power BI: A Practical Guide to Self-Service Data Analytics with Excel 2016 and Power BI Desktop (Edizione 2)||Apress||2017||9781484225769|
|A. Kirk||Data Visualisation: A Handbook for Data Driven Design||SAGE Publications||2016||9781473912137|
|T. Rahlf||Data Visualisation with R: 100 Examples||Springer||2017||9783319497501|
|A. Telea||Data Visualization: Principles and Practice||CRC Press||2015||9781466585263|
|R. Brath, D. Jonker||Graph Analysis and Visualization: Discovering Business Opportunity in Linked Data||Wiley||2015||9781118845844|
|R. Collie||Power Pivot and Power BI: The Excel User's Guide to DAX, Power Query, Power BI & Power Pivot in Excel 2010-2016 (Edizione 2)||Holy Macro! Books||2016||9781615470396|
|R. Sleeper||Practical Tableau: 100 Tips, Tutorials, and Strategies from a Tableau Zen Master||O'Reilly Media, Inc.||2018||9781491977316|
|A. Aspin||Pro Power BI Desktop (Edizione 1)||Apress||2016||9781484218044|
|A. Cairo||The Functional Art: An Introduction to Information Graphics and Visualization (Voices That Matter) (Edizione 1)||New Riders Pub.||2012|
|A. Cairo||The Truthful Art: Data, Charts, and Maps for Communication||New Riders Pub.||2016||9780321934079|
|E. R. Tufte||The Visual Display of Quantitative Information (Edizione 2)||Graphics Press, Cheshire, Connecticut||2001||9781930824133|
|Tableau Software||Visual Analysis Best practices: Simple Techniques for Making Every Data Visualization Useful and Beautiful||Tableau Software||2018|
Students are required to attend at least 2/3 of the exercise lessons/tutorial activity in order to be admitted to the final evaluation. The final examination will consist in a written exam, with an oral examination if necessary, on the use of the software Power BI. There will be just one date for the final examination.