The purpose of the module is to explain, at an elementary level, the conceptual basis of the classical (frequentist) approach to statistical inference. The topics will be illustrated and explained through many examples.
Students are expected to acquire the language and the concepts needed to better understand the inferential procedures required for their subjects.
- Revision of limit theorems: weak law of large numbers; central limit theorem.
- Random samples, sample statistics and sampling distributions; normal and Bernoulli populations; sample mean, sample variance and sample proportion.
- Point estimation: estimators, unbiasedness, efficiency, mean square error, consistency.
- Interval estimation: pivotal quantity; paradigmatic examples.
- Hypothesis testing: type I and type II errors; critical value; confidence level; power; test statistic; observed significance level, paradigmatic examples.
Vedi la bibliografia dell'insegnamento
The final assessment will be through a written paper.
CSS e script comuni siti DOL - frase 9957