The aim of the course is to develop the student ability in undestanding and designing the cost accounting and the business reporting systems.
A cost accounting system is concerned with accumulating cost for inventory valuation to meet external financial accounting and internal monthly or quaterly profit measurement requirements.
A management accounting system accumulates, classifies, summarizes and reports information that will assist employees within an organization in their decision making, planning, control and performance measurement activities. A business reporting system summarise both internal and external information for the decision making process realised by top and middle management.
At the end of the course the student will be able:
- to know the main instruments for cost accounting and business reporting
- to determine company costs and budget
- to design the cost accounting system and the business reporting system for a SME.
The course is tought in English.
The course is divided into four parts (both for attending and non attending students):
PART 1: INTRODUCTION TO MANAGEMENT AND COST ACCOUNTING
1. Introduction to management accounting
2. An introduction to cost terms and concepts
PART 2: COST ACCUMULATION FOR INVENTORY VALUATION AND PROFIT MEASUREMENT
3. Accounting for direct costs
4. Cost assignment for indirect costs
5. Accounting entries for a job costing system
6. Process costing
7. Joint and by-product costing
8. Income effects of alternative cost accumulation systems
PART 3: INFORMATION FOR DECISION-MAKING
9. Cost-volume-profit analysis
10. Cost estimation and cost behaviour
11. Measuring relevant costs and revenues for decision-making
12. Activity-based costing
PART 4: INFORMATION FOR PLANNING, CONTROL AND PERFORMANCE MEASUREMENT
13. The budgeting process
14. Management control systems
15. Standard costing and variance analysis
TEACHING ACTIVITY: front lessons. During the course a few casestudy will be analysed. Students will found those materials accessing to MYUNIVR platform.
The teacher is available for Q&A:
1. at the and of the lectures;
2. in a specific meeting with students (see institutional webpage).
|Colin Drury||Cost and Management Accounting (Edizione 7)||Cengage Learning||2011||9781408032138||Testo acquistabile anche via internet attraverso i principali siti italiani di vendita libri (fra cui www.amazon.it). The textbook may be bought using the main italian online bookshops (i.e. www.amazon.it)|
The examination is a written test on the whole program both for attending and non attending students.
The aim of the examination is to assess a) the student knowledge of the main topics of the course and b) the ability to solve some practical case-study taken from the textbook. The examination includes: 9 multiple choice questions (MCQ) and 3 open questions (OQ). Each question (MCQ and OQ) has a specific score indicated at the top line. The final grade is the sum of the scores of each single question (MCQ + OQ). The maximum score for the examination is 30.
The exam lasts 60 minutes.
After passing the written exmination the student MAY ask for an additional oral examination to modify (max +/- 3 marks) the previous score.
Online registration is required at least 3 days before the examination date.
The exam is in English.